More than 65 gingerbread houses entered Nevada County’s 32nd Annual Country Christmas Faire
December 1, 2016
A successful canned food drive, more than 120 vendors, and scores of gingerbread houses made the 32nd Annual Country Christmas Faire at the Nevada County Fairgrounds a success.
The 14th Annual Gingerbread House Competition featured 66 entries, with Jan Haverty of Nevada City taking "Best of Show." The People's Choice Award went to Owen Strolle of Grass Valley. The Best of Show is chosen by the judges, and the People's Choice Award is selected through ballots cast by individuals who attend the Christmas Faire.
First place winners in the traditional categories include Mimi Vanderleun, Josephine Hoover, Paxton Hoover, Hunter Kerschner, and Jaxin Milhous (age 5 and under); Crimson Layton, Claire Jones and Corbin Malcom (age 6 to 8); Owen Strolle and Finn Becker (ages 9 to 12); Esther Goldman and Avora Bradley (kits: age 8 and under); Aiden Keller (age 13 to 17); Mary Sweet (age 18 to 64); Jan Haverty (age 65 and over); Emily Dorton (special needs); Zach Schaffer, J. and C. Anderson, kindergarten/first grade Scotten After School Program, second grade Scotten After School Program, third grade Scotten After School Program, and fourth grade Scotten After School Program (group/children); Dasha and Katya Schaffer (group – teens); the Longacre family; and T. Schaffer and Cynthia Nicholsen (group/adults).
New this year, the popular coloring contest featured 154 coloring entries. First place winners include Madison Clark, Patricia Gizzi, Rebecca Hengesback, Katie Hengesback, Grant Lacosse, Justin Larsen, Kayla Larsen, Joshua Last, Fiona Longacre, Carson Nick, Jeremiah Nocera, and Richard Vaters.
At Sunday's canned food drive, Grass Valley Elks Lodge #538, with help from Boy Scout Troop 21, collected more than 150 pounds of food. These donations will help feed 30 to 35 families in need during the holiday season.
The names of all the Gingerbread House Competition winners can be found on the Fairgrounds' website at http://www.NevadaCountyFair.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Faith groups invite Nevada County residents to come together in unity
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Craft Guild’s ‘Winterfaire’ this weekend at Nevada County Fairgrounds
- E-waste fundraiser at Union Hill School Dec. 10
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Grass Valley sinkhole’s impacts on creek will remain
- ‘Lucky to be alive:’ Man escapes fire, returns to find tree on house
- Nevada City’s Stone House fully up and running after year-long renovation