More than 65 gingerbread houses entered Nevada County’s 32nd Annual Country Christmas Faire
December 1, 2016
A successful canned food drive, more than 120 vendors, and scores of gingerbread houses made the 32nd Annual Country Christmas Faire at the Nevada County Fairgrounds a success.
The 14th Annual Gingerbread House Competition featured 66 entries, with Jan Haverty of Nevada City taking "Best of Show." The People's Choice Award went to Owen Strolle of Grass Valley. The Best of Show is chosen by the judges, and the People's Choice Award is selected through ballots cast by individuals who attend the Christmas Faire.
First place winners in the traditional categories include Mimi Vanderleun, Josephine Hoover, Paxton Hoover, Hunter Kerschner, and Jaxin Milhous (age 5 and under); Crimson Layton, Claire Jones and Corbin Malcom (age 6 to 8); Owen Strolle and Finn Becker (ages 9 to 12); Esther Goldman and Avora Bradley (kits: age 8 and under); Aiden Keller (age 13 to 17); Mary Sweet (age 18 to 64); Jan Haverty (age 65 and over); Emily Dorton (special needs); Zach Schaffer, J. and C. Anderson, kindergarten/first grade Scotten After School Program, second grade Scotten After School Program, third grade Scotten After School Program, and fourth grade Scotten After School Program (group/children); Dasha and Katya Schaffer (group – teens); the Longacre family; and T. Schaffer and Cynthia Nicholsen (group/adults).
New this year, the popular coloring contest featured 154 coloring entries. First place winners include Madison Clark, Patricia Gizzi, Rebecca Hengesback, Katie Hengesback, Grant Lacosse, Justin Larsen, Kayla Larsen, Joshua Last, Fiona Longacre, Carson Nick, Jeremiah Nocera, and Richard Vaters.
At Sunday's canned food drive, Grass Valley Elks Lodge #538, with help from Boy Scout Troop 21, collected more than 150 pounds of food. These donations will help feed 30 to 35 families in need during the holiday season.
The names of all the Gingerbread House Competition winners can be found on the Fairgrounds' website at http://www.NevadaCountyFair.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Nevada County Democrats to host Dave Jones in Nevada City
- Grass Valley spaghetti dinner to benefit transplant donor and recipient
- Photography exhibit: amateur and professional photographers wanted
- Raley’s makes donation to Hospice of the Foothills in Grass Valley
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Felony manslaughter filed in fatal Grass Valley ATV crash
- Terry McAteer: Rejecting endorsement of hatred, bigotry
- General manager of Nevada Irrigation District clarifies comments about marijuana grows
- Housing crisis hits deep: Nevada County family struggles to find a place to live
- Jail inmate dies of suspected heroin overdose