Local Toastmasters set to compete in Rocklin
October 9, 2012
Four Nevada County Toastmasters clubs participated in a local speech contest Sept. 21 in Nevada City. Winners included Judy Nichols, who won first place in the Humorous Speech Contest, and Mary Thompson with second place. Mary Thompson also won first place in the Evaluations contest with Jeff Pylman garnering second place. All three winners will go on to compete at the Division F level Oct. 6 in Rocklin. For information about local Toastmasters clubs, visit http://www.toastmastersnevadacounty.org.
Madelyn Helling Library vying for children's grant
The children's staff at the Madelyn Helling Library is trying to win a $5,000 grant from LEGO DUPLO, and it needs your help. To nominate the library, visit http://www.readbuildplay.com, and choose California, Nevada City and Madelyn Helling Branch from the drop-down list on the right side of the screen. The most nominated library will receive $5,000 for books and supplies, and the top 200 nominated libraries will win an early-literacy tool kit. The last day to vote is Monday. For information, contact Cindy or Laura at Madelyn Helling Library at (530) 265-1538.
Free presentation on medication and children with attention deficit disorders
The Special Education Parent Advisory Committee (SEPAC) is offering a free presentation by Dr. Michael Lin of Nevada County Behavioral Health and Victor Support Services, entitled "Medication Management for Children with Attention Deficit Disorders." This presentation will be 9:30 to 11 a.m. Oct. 8 in the Houser Room at the Nevada County Superintendent of School's Office, 112 Nevada City Highway in Nevada City. Dr. Lin will discuss how attention deficit medications work, why they may be prescribed and what is hoped to be accomplished through their use. Parents and interested parties wanting information on these medications are encouraged to attend.
For information, contact Randy McKean at (530) 265-0611, ext. 203.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- BIRTHS: JULY 21, 2017
- Give blood, get a free ticket to the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County Fairgrounds and community organizations team up for Community Involvement Day, offer discounts
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws