Legal experts to discuss same sex marriage tonight
July 21, 2014
Nevada County attorney Joe Bell and associate Jennifer Wilkerson will discuss "Same Sex Marriage: Evolution and Revolution in Family Law" at PFLAG's monthly meeting, scheduled for 7 p.m. tonight at Unitarian Universalist Community of the Mountains. The meeting is open to everyone of all ages. Bell and Wilkerson originally gave this presentation to members of the Nevada County Bar Association at the 16th annual Family Law Update sponsored by the Bar and the Nevada County Superior Court in April. The program addresses the everyday impacts and evolving rights questions now common for same sex couples after decisions by the California Supreme Court (CASCT) and the United States Supreme Court (USSCT) on "gay marriage" issues last year. Same sex marriage has become fully legal in 17 states and there are more than 70 marriage cases pending in state and federal courts.
Unitarian Universalist Community of the Mountains is located at 246 South Church St. in Grass Valley.
PFLAG National, formerly known as Parents, Friends and Family of Lesbians and Gays, is the United States' largest organization for parents, families, friends and straight allies united with people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender. For more information on PFLAG Nevada County, visit http://pflagnevco.com.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- PFLAG to screen ‘Gender Revolution’ in Grass Valley
- Zepparella to perform at Grass Valley Elks Lodge
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball