League of Women Voters to address gun safety
March 4, 2013
The League of Women Voters of Western Nevada County will host a panel discussion on gun safety at its regular public meeting at Peace Lutheran Church, 828 W. Main St., Grass Valley, Saturday morning. Refreshments will be served at 9:30 a.m., and the program will commence at 10 a.m.
The proliferation of guns in society and the resulting violence is a subject of vital concern to the American public. What is the current legislation in California regarding gun ownership? How does it relate to federal legislation? Are the rights of gun owners threatened by current laws? Are these rights threatened by proposed laws? What are the statistics regarding gun ownership in Nevada County? What about illegal gun ownership? Lastly, what are the contributions of the mental health professionals in response to gun violence? These are just some of the areas to be addressed by the panel.
The following individuals have accepted the league's invitation to participate on the panel: Amanda Wilcox, advocate for legislation related to gun safety; John Foster, Grass Valley chief of police; and Dr. Peter Van Houten, founder and medical director of Sierra Family Medical Clinic.
The National Rifle Association and the California Rifle and Pistol Association declined invitations to speak.
The league meets regularly at Peace Lutheran the second Saturday morning of each month to present topics of current interest to the public. For information, call 530-265-0956 or visit http://LWVWNC.org.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- PFLAG to screen ‘Gender Revolution’ in Grass Valley
- Zepparella to perform at Grass Valley Elks Lodge
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip