League of Women Voters invites public to examine the ‘Silver Tsunami’
February 7, 2013
The League of Women Voters of Western Nevada County will present a panel of speakers who are actively involved with senior programs at its next public meeting at 9:30 a.m. Feb. 9 at Peace Lutheran Church, 828 W. Main St. in Grass Valley. Refreshments will be served at 9:30 a.m., and the program will commence at 10 a.m.
The panel will talk about what services are currently available, some of the problems seniors commonly confront as they age and, with an increasing senior population, whether the county is prepared to deal with the increased demand for service.
Speakers will be Lori Burkart Frank, Aging and Disability Resource Connection program manager; Sara Morrison, Retired and Senior Volunteer Program and HELPLINE project director; and Mary Tucker, LWV member and senior advocate with a lengthy resume of activities in the area.
In addition to panelists, others involved with services will be present to provide additional information, including Pam Kuhn of Telecare, Sandy Jacobsen of Senior Services and Ruth Schwartz of the Ombudsman program.
The public is invited to participate. One hour will be allotted for questions, providing ample opportunity for members of the audience to question the panelists and also to learn what concerns others might have.
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy. The LWV of Western Nevada County meets regularly the second Saturday morning of most months at Peace Lutheran Church in Grass Valley. For information, visit http://www.LWVWNC.org.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- PFLAG to screen ‘Gender Revolution’ in Grass Valley
- Zepparella to perform at Grass Valley Elks Lodge
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball