International peace activist Kathy Kelly to speak in Grass Valley
April 7, 2014
Kathy Kelly, a world-renowned peace activist, will speak in Grass Valley on Saturday, April 19, on "Seeing through the Smokescreen: War and Peace in the 21st Century." The program will begin at 1 p.m. at Sierra Mountain Coffee Roasters, 671 Maltman Drive in Grass Valley. The event is being sponsored by Earth Justice Ministries, the Peace and Justice Center of Nevada County, the Palestine-Israel Working Group and Occupy Beale.
Kelly is coordinator of Voices for Creative Nonviolence, a campaign to end U.S. military and economic warfare. In 2011, Kathy Kelly was a passenger on The Audacity of Hope, the U.S. boat in the international flotilla to break the illegal occupation of Gaza. She has taken nine trips to Afghanistan, where she has lived alongside ordinary Afghan people in Kabul. She has joined activists in the United States to protest drone warfare outside of military bases in Nevada, upstate New York and Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri. Kathy is author of "Other Lands have Dreams." She has been nominated twice for the Nobel Peace Prize.
The day before her speaking event, on April 18, Kelly will join anti-drone demonstrators at Beale Air Force Base for a Good Friday prayer vigil. Beale, near Marysville, is home of the Global Hawk Drone, a surveillance drone that assists in finding targets for Predator and Reaper weaponized drones. Protesters from around Northern California have been holding anti-drone demonstrations at Beale regularly for more than three years. For updated information, visit the Earth Justice Ministries Facebook page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Zepparella to perform at Grass Valley Elks Lodge
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier