Information & Referral Day is Saturday
November 14, 2013
Every day, thousands of people find the help they need quickly, conveniently and free of charge because of information and referral services.
To recognize the importance of such services in our community, HelpLine Senior Information & Assistance (HelpLine) is taking part in Information & Referral Day on Saturday.
Information and referral is the art, science and practice of bringing people and services together and is an integral component of the health and human services sector. In California, Information and Referral for older adults is called Senior Information and Assistance.
People in search of critical services such as transportation, legal help, food, shelter or mental health support often do not know where to begin to get help, or they get overwhelmed trying to find what they need.
With I&R, the information is available at their fingertips with one simple phone call. HelpLine, a program of Area 4 Agency on Aging, specializes in providing health and social service resources to seniors and their caregivers in Nevada County.
In addition to linking older adults to the services they need, HelpLine's Telephone Reassurance program calls isolated seniors on a regular basis, offering socialization to the senior and peace of mind to family and friends.
HelpLine also offers help with bus route scheduling, identifying bus stop locations, planning bus travel routes, depart/arrival times and other transportation connections.
Additionally, HelpLine is a partner with the Aging & Disability Resource Connection, which helps people understand long-term services and support available to maintain independent living. Trained staff provide free option counseling to help develop an action plan based on identifying and reaching long-term goals.
In late 2011, at the request of the Alliance of Information and Referral Services, the U.S. Senate designated Nov. 16, 2011, as National Information and Referral Services Day. The alliance is an international nonprofit professional association with a membership of more than 1,200 public and private I&R organizations, including HelpLine.
It then decided to continue celebrating Information & Referral Day each Nov. 16 to raise public awareness and recognize the critical importance of the I&R field.
HelpLine and trained volunteers are available to listen to callers' concerns and, if desired, follow up to see that your needs are met, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
For more information contact Susan Stratman, HelpLine Program Manager at 530-273-2273 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- PFLAG to screen ‘Gender Revolution’ in Grass Valley
- Zepparella to perform at Grass Valley Elks Lodge
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball