Hospitality House to host “Think Outside the Cardboard Box” contest and fundraiser
December 27, 2012
On Oct. 13, Hospitality House will host "Think Outside the Cardboard Box," an event at the Nevada County Fairgrounds designed to create a unique and shared experience for attendees while raising awareness and funds to support our local homeless population. The event will feature a dwelling-building contest for all ages, live music, food and the option for contestants to spend the night in their dwellings to partially experience the everyday reality of a homeless individual.
Guests are invited to attend the evening portion of the event, which begins at 5 p.m., to enjoy a casual dinner and live music under the stars, as well as the opportunity to view the creations of local children, youth groups and other individuals who will create a one-night cardboard city on the fairgrounds. Tickets for the event are $20 and can be purchased at BriarPatch, Hospitality House or at the door.
Contestants in the dwelling contest may join as individuals or teams as they create, design and decorate cardboard structures of any design or fashion. Prizes will be given for various categories, including most creative, best architectural design, most artistic and most pledge money raised.
"To be without a home, without any other option but to lie on the ground and hope you are safe from harm is something most of us can only imagine. For hundreds of homeless people in our community, this has been a painful reality," said Cindy Maple, Hospitality House's executive director.
Individuals or teams interested in participating in the event are encouraged to gain sponsorships of $100. Information and registration forms can be found at http://hospitalityhouseshelter.org/events-fundraisers/think-outside-the-cardboard-box/.
For information, please call (530)-271-7144.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Free glaucoma and vision screenings for ‘Community Involvement Day’ on July 31
- BIRTHS: JULY 21, 2017
- Give blood, get a free ticket to the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County Fairgrounds and community organizations team up for Community Involvement Day, offer discounts
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws