Homeless man found dead in Grass Valley identified
March 14, 2014
A homeless man found dead in his tent after his dog wandered into a nearby business has been identified as Gary Roney Jr., 46.
Roney's husky was running loose while trailing his leash and walked into a laundromat in the 600 block of Freeman Lane slightly before noon Monday, according to dispatch reports.
The dog was recognized as belonging to a man who was known to live in a tent near Wolf Creek, and the laundromat's owner called and asked the police to do a welfare check. The owner also paid for the dog to be bathed at Petco, he said.
There was no trauma and no suspicion of foul play, said Sheriff's Sgt. Rich Fevinger. A cause of death is pending toxicology reports.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Memorial Day art returns to Grass Valley hillside
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public