Homeless man found dead in Grass Valley identified
March 14, 2014
A homeless man found dead in his tent after his dog wandered into a nearby business has been identified as Gary Roney Jr., 46.
Roney's husky was running loose while trailing his leash and walked into a laundromat in the 600 block of Freeman Lane slightly before noon Monday, according to dispatch reports.
The dog was recognized as belonging to a man who was known to live in a tent near Wolf Creek, and the laundromat's owner called and asked the police to do a welfare check. The owner also paid for the dog to be bathed at Petco, he said.
There was no trauma and no suspicion of foul play, said Sheriff's Sgt. Rich Fevinger. A cause of death is pending toxicology reports.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Nevada County Fairgrounds and community organizations team up for Community Involvement Day, offer discounts
- Give blood, get a free ticket to the Nevada County Fair
- The Nevada-Placer Chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County