Homeless man found dead in Grass Valley identified
March 14, 2014
A homeless man found dead in his tent after his dog wandered into a nearby business has been identified as Gary Roney Jr., 46.
Roney's husky was running loose while trailing his leash and walked into a laundromat in the 600 block of Freeman Lane slightly before noon Monday, according to dispatch reports.
The dog was recognized as belonging to a man who was known to live in a tent near Wolf Creek, and the laundromat's owner called and asked the police to do a welfare check. The owner also paid for the dog to be bathed at Petco, he said.
There was no trauma and no suspicion of foul play, said Sheriff's Sgt. Rich Fevinger. A cause of death is pending toxicology reports.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- Grass Valley sinkhole’s impacts on creek will remain
- Nevada County staff recommend no Dollar General at Rough and Ready Highway site
- ‘Lucky to be alive:’ Man escapes fire, returns to find tree on house