Gold Country Senior Softball Association To Hold First Annual Don Young Memorial Softball Tournament
July 1, 2013
Penn Valley's Gold Country Senior Softball Association (GCSSA) will participate in the First Annual Don Young Memorial Softball Tournament to be held July 8 and 9 on the ball fields at Western Gateway Park. The event will be a two-night single elimination tournament, with the proceeds raised being donated back to GCSSA to help defer costs of equipment and maintaining the ball fields at the park. The public is encouraged to come out and root for their favorite teams, starting at 5 p.m. each of the nights. There will be raffle prizes and give-a-ways both nights, with a grand prize drawing on July 9. The Penn Valley Chamber of Commerce will be selling hamburgers, hot dogs, drinks and ice cream both nights of the event.
Event organizer Mike Mastrodonato, manager of Penn Valley Mini Storage, along with the board of the GCSSA, came up with the idea to honor one of Penn Valley's longtime benefactors, Donald W. Young. Young, who passed away in 2010, was an avid supporter of the long-established senior softball association and a past player, as well.
"Many of the businesses and developed parts of the Penn Valley area we enjoy today are a direct result of the vision, efforts and committed devotion of Don Young. He had a sense for business, was committed to the area and always stayed true to his beliefs of giving back to the community", said Mastrodonato. "This is only a small effort on our part to make sure Don is remembered by doing something to benefit an organization that was near and dear to his heart."
Organizers hope to build and grow this annual event into something the community can enjoy and support while honoring Young.
For more information you can call Penn Valley Mini Storage at 530-477-6464 or visit http://www.PennValleyStorage.com.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Zepparella to perform at Grass Valley Elks Lodge
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier