Giant binocular telescope at Astronomy Club’s September meeting
August 27, 2013
Bruce Sayre's new 14 1/4-inch binocular telescope will be featured at the Nevada County Astronomy Club's next meeting at 7 p.m. Sept. 4 in the community room of Madelyn Helling Library in Nevada City.
He will discuss binocular scopes in general and the new ideas that went into designing the 14 1/4 telescope. Sayre is a veteran telescope maker, having made numerous super large binoculars of 22-inch aperture, but these are not very portable. He wanted to construct a binocular scope that is portable and can be quickly set up in the field. Mirrors were ground by local amateur mirror maker Bill Thomas. Both Thomas and Sayre are members of the Nevada County Astronomy Club.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Memorial Day art returns to Grass Valley hillside
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed