Giant binocular telescope at Astronomy Club’s September meeting
August 27, 2013
Bruce Sayre's new 14 1/4-inch binocular telescope will be featured at the Nevada County Astronomy Club's next meeting at 7 p.m. Sept. 4 in the community room of Madelyn Helling Library in Nevada City.
He will discuss binocular scopes in general and the new ideas that went into designing the 14 1/4 telescope. Sayre is a veteran telescope maker, having made numerous super large binoculars of 22-inch aperture, but these are not very portable. He wanted to construct a binocular scope that is portable and can be quickly set up in the field. Mirrors were ground by local amateur mirror maker Bill Thomas. Both Thomas and Sayre are members of the Nevada County Astronomy Club.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Faith groups invite Nevada County residents to come together in unity
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Congressman Tom McClintock to speak to Nevada County Republican Women
- 1/2-acre vegetation fire off North Bloomfield contained
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse
- Moratorium on insurance policies affect prospective Nevada County homeowners
- Hefty expenses force Nevada City to take out loans
- Truckee police: Man drugged victim, raped her
- Nevada County staff recommend no Dollar General at Rough and Ready Highway site