Gas leak at Pioneer Park pool
November 9, 2012
A Nevada City man was helping an Eagle Scout with a public service project to implement eight benches around the pool at Pioneer Park when the pair reportedly ruptured the gas line Wednesday afternoon.
The park was subsequently evacuated by Nevada City police and firefighters while Pacific Gas and Electric dispatched service personnel to fix the leak.
"He and I were digging holes," said Verne Taylor. "I actually hit the gas line that heats the pool with a digging bar."
Luckily Taylor is also the city's director of the Public Works Department and recalled the location of the shut off valve.
Nevada County Consolidated Fire District personnel responded at approximately 3:30 p.m. and the immediate area was cleared out including the park's play ground. Responded public services members were on scene for approximately an hour, said Capt. Patrick Sullivan.
PG&E responded and repaired the leak, Taylor said.
— Christopher Rosacker
Trending In: News Briefs
- Nevada County fatality: Motorcyclist was thrown into utility pole, CHP states
- Nevada County home invasion leads to arrests, authorities say
- Homeless man dying of cancer finally gets long-term care in Grass Valley
- Nevada County fatality: Motorcyclist dies after Rough and Ready Highway wreck
- Nevada County prosecutors say review of Hollitz cases could take months, 60-80 cases could be impacted