Gas leak at Pioneer Park pool
November 9, 2012
A Nevada City man was helping an Eagle Scout with a public service project to implement eight benches around the pool at Pioneer Park when the pair reportedly ruptured the gas line Wednesday afternoon.
The park was subsequently evacuated by Nevada City police and firefighters while Pacific Gas and Electric dispatched service personnel to fix the leak.
"He and I were digging holes," said Verne Taylor. "I actually hit the gas line that heats the pool with a digging bar."
Luckily Taylor is also the city's director of the Public Works Department and recalled the location of the shut off valve.
Nevada County Consolidated Fire District personnel responded at approximately 3:30 p.m. and the immediate area was cleared out including the park's play ground. Responded public services members were on scene for approximately an hour, said Capt. Patrick Sullivan.
PG&E responded and repaired the leak, Taylor said.
— Christopher Rosacker
Trending In: News Briefs
- Serious drug charges dropped after tests show suspected cocaine was flour
- Shooter at large after shooting at Monterey County school
- Rickie Lynn Abel’s memorial service set for Saturday
- Rideout cuts to save $3 million include cutting ties with Nevada County
- Mural proposed for downtown Grass Valley faces hurdles