Free showing of ‘Journey of the Heart’ Sunday
October 25, 2013
There will be a free screening of “Journey of the Heart” at 7 p.m. Sunday at the Nevada County Library, 980 Helling Way, Nevada City.
This film documentary has in-depth interviews with several Buddhist scholars, including the Dalai Lama, Robert Thurman, B. Alan Wallace, Mattheiu Ricard and Thupten Jinpa. The film was shot in India and Nepal, covering all major Buddhist locations.
The documentary was produced and directed by Ravi Verma, who lives in the Sacramento area. You can watch a preview of the film at heartsutrafilm.com.
This film has two major points of focus: the Buddhist text, the Heart Sutra, which is part of the Ultimate Wisdom Text of Buddhism, and the travel diary of Chinese monk Xuanzang, who undertook a 10,000-mile and 16-year-long journey to India to Vulture’s Peak, where the Heart Sutra is supposed to have been delivered.
The Heart Sutra is a dialog between two prominent figures in Buddhism: Arya Avalokiteshvara and Arya Shariputra. This dialog is supposed to have happened in the presence of the Lord Buddha at the top of a hill called Griddhra Kut, or Vulture’s Peak, in Rajgir, Bihar, India. The place still exists today.
Any donations will go to support the Tibetan Children’s Village in Dhramsala, India.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Seminar on cannabis law set for January in Nevada City
- Rotary ‘coat drive’ for Hospitality House in Nevada County
- Santa’s Christmas Shoppe for young children in Nevada City
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Grass Valley’s Del Oro Theatre presents ‘Kenneth Branagh Theatre Live’ Thursday
- Defense attorneys continue to question credibility of Nevada County Sheriff’s narcotics detective
- Probe shut down: Former ADA allegedly forced to resign after investigation into narcotics detective
- John Foster, former Grass Valley police chief, announces run for sheriff
- Documents disclosed in case involving Nevada County Sheriff’s narcotics detective
- Sheriff Keith Royal: I intend to retire at end of this term