Food drive set for Saturday
April 23, 2013
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is sponsoring a world wide day of service called Helping Hands this Saturday.
In and around Auburn, Colfax, Foresthill, Grass Valley, Nevada City and Penn Valley, the church has organized a canned food drive pick up. The goal is to support the Interfaith Food Ministry for Nevada County, Auburn Interfaith Food Closet and The Battered Women's Shelter (Stand Up Placer). Community members are encouraged to help by donating to the Stuff-the-Cupboards cause this Saturday.
Volunteers are handing out flyers this week and will return on Saturday to gather the donated food items. Some suggested items include rice, macaroni and cheese, hamburger helper, canned tuna, canned chicken, canned and powered milk, tomato sauce, and peanut butter.
Volunteers will come back on Saturday between 9 a.m. and noon to gather the donated food. If possible, bags should be left out by 9 a.m. with the flyer that was delivered earlier in the week.
Individuals or families wishing to make donations may also bring the canned food items directly to the Interfaith Food Ministry on 551 Whiting in Grass Valley between 9 a.m. and noon this Saturday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death