Food drive set for Saturday
April 23, 2013
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is sponsoring a world wide day of service called Helping Hands this Saturday.
In and around Auburn, Colfax, Foresthill, Grass Valley, Nevada City and Penn Valley, the church has organized a canned food drive pick up. The goal is to support the Interfaith Food Ministry for Nevada County, Auburn Interfaith Food Closet and The Battered Women's Shelter (Stand Up Placer). Community members are encouraged to help by donating to the Stuff-the-Cupboards cause this Saturday.
Volunteers are handing out flyers this week and will return on Saturday to gather the donated food items. Some suggested items include rice, macaroni and cheese, hamburger helper, canned tuna, canned chicken, canned and powered milk, tomato sauce, and peanut butter.
Volunteers will come back on Saturday between 9 a.m. and noon to gather the donated food. If possible, bags should be left out by 9 a.m. with the flyer that was delivered earlier in the week.
Individuals or families wishing to make donations may also bring the canned food items directly to the Interfaith Food Ministry on 551 Whiting in Grass Valley between 9 a.m. and noon this Saturday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- CHP: Fire near Greenhorn Campground leads to evacuations