Documentary examines broken immigration system
November 4, 2013
A screening of "The Dream Is Now: An American Story," a new 30-minute documentary film by Davis Guggenheim (Academy Award-wining director of "An Inconvenient Truth"), will be part of the First Tuesday Educational Forum at 5:30 p.m., Nov. 5, in the basement room of the Nevada City Veterans Hall, 415 No. Pine Street.
The film tells the story of those directly affected by a broken immigration system — the undocumented children of immigrants who yearn to contribute more to the country they call home. This thought-provoking film puts a human face on the issue and brings attention to Congress' efforts to pass reform that will give undocumented youth and their families a chance to earn their citizenship. "The Dream Is Now" chronicles the national conversation on immigration and immigration reform over the past three years. It examines the growth of the youth activist movement surrounding the DREAM Act, whose future in America relies on passage of the DREAM Act. Following the film there will be a discussion on if and how (or not) we in Nevada County can bring the need for comprehensive immigration reform to the forefront of political conversations in our community. Tuesday's event is sponsored by the Nevada County Democrats.
For further information, contact Jim Firth, chair, NCDCC at 530-477-1804 or visit http://www.nevadacountydemocrats.com.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Memorial Day art returns to Grass Valley hillside
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Zepparella to perform at Grass Valley Elks Lodge
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed