Discussion of railway linking Grass Valley, Nevada City, Colfax
June 18, 2013
Members of a Nevada County nonprofit dedicated to sustainable practices will host a discussion tonight on the prospect of a Northern Sierra Railway, an envisioned rebuild and modernization of the rail corridor between Grass Valley, Nevada City and Colfax.
"The idea is to get people to really get started talking about this railroad," said Joshua Lichterman, president of Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy's board of directors.
Tonight's forum will feature Alfred "Al" Bulf, a Nevada City resident and a former candidate for Nevada County Supervisor District 1 seat in the November election.
Bulf is a mainstay at local governmental meetings, where he has often expressed his intentions to install a public transportation system that would connect Colfax, Grass Valley and Nevada City via electric train.
"This would be a real boon to the community," Lichterman said. "It would bring tourist without impact of their automobiles, enable farmers to get their product to local markets, and rural living will be very difficult as oil costs continue to rise. This would help with that."
Bulf has long boasted that he has attracted potential Chinese investors to Nevada County in the past. Litcherman reported that Bulf is bringing a third group of Chinese investors within the next month.
"We're making it very clear: We want the community to be the majority investor," Litcherman said. "The Chinese and other outside investors could invest up to 49 percent."
Tonight's forum is a free event put on by APPLE, its board president said. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-270-9916.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Give blood, get a free ticket to the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- Nevada County Fairgrounds and community organizations team up for Community Involvement Day, offer discounts
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County