Community meetings to focus on improved broadband service
October 17, 2013
Does your business or home have inadequate Internet service? Maybe you don't have Internet service at all. The Gold Country Broadband Consortium is one of 14 regional consortia in the state funded by the California Advanced Services Fund Rural and Urban Regional Broadband Consortia grant program to leverage regional, state and national resources as an investment in improving and expanding broadband access.
The next broadband community meetings are scheduled as follows:
— Oct. 28 at the North San Juan Fire District Community Center, 6-7:30 p.m. This meeting is for citizens living in North San Juan and surrounding neighborhoods.
— Oct. 30 at the Madelyn Helling Library, 980 Helling Way, Nevada City, in the Gene Albaugh Community Room from 6-7:30 p.m. This meeting is for the citizens living on Willow Valley Road and surrounding neighborhoods.
Admission is free. The meeting will allow local ISPs to describe their services and what they can provide by means of Internet service.
The GCBC needs the assistance of all rural residents and businesses in performing an Internet speed test. To conduct the speed test, visit the GCBC Website and follow the directions: http://goldcountryconsortium.wordpress.com/instructions/
The GCBC is also looking for neighborhood advocates to notify their neighbors of upcoming community meetings. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to serve your community as a neighborhood advocate.
The Sierra Economic Development Corporation is the facilitator of a California Public Utilities Commission grant to launch a public-private partnership aimed at increasing digital access and use in Nevada, Placer, El Dorado, Sierra and eastern Alpine counties. Additional information and announcements will be posted on the Gold Country Broadband Consortium Blog: http://goldcountryconsortium.wordpress.com/. For more information on SEDCorp or the Gold Country Broadband Consortium, contact Randy Wagner, CEO, at 530-823-4703, email email@example.com or visit http://www.sedcorp.biz.
Trending In: News Briefs
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Zepparella to perform at Grass Valley Elks Lodge
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- PFLAG to screen ‘Gender Revolution’ in Grass Valley
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier