California State Senator Leland Yee to speak to county’s Democratic Central Committee
April 11, 2013
The Nevada County Democratic Central Committee has invited California State Senator Leland Y. Yee, Ph.D. — also 2014 Democratic candidate for California Secretary of State — to be the guest speaker at their Annual Dinner, scheduled for 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 11 at the Alta Sierra County Club in Grass Valley.
Yee was first elected to the State Senate in 2006 and won re-election in 2010 receiving the most votes of any Democratic legislator in the State. He represents District 8 which includes San Francisco and San Mateo Counties. Yee is the first Chinese American ever elected to the California State Senate. Prior to serving in the State Senate, Yee served four years in the California State Assembly.
During his tenure in the Legislature, Yee has fought for children, mental health services, working families, seniors, education, open government, consumer protection, civil rights and the environment. Since 2003, he has successfully passed 164 pieces of legislation, of which 124 have been chaptered into law.
Yee was the first Asian American to be appointed Assistant President pro Tempore of the California State Senate as well as the first Asian American to serve as Speaker pro Tempore of the California State Assembly. Prior to serving in the Legislature, Dr. Yee spent eight years on the San Francisco Unified School District Board where he fought to streamline bureaucracy, direct funds towards higher standards in core curriculum, update educational materials, reduce class sizes, and increase public access to school services.
At this dinner, the Nevada County Democratic Central Committee will be honoring the Nevada County Chapter of "Healthcare for All" for their volunteer work in this most important need. Bob Krueger, Chair of the Chapter, will accept the honor on behalf of the volunteers.
For reservations, mail your check for $35, payable to NCDCC, P. O. Box 2074, Grass Valley, CA 95945, or call 530-477-1804. Reservations can also be made online at http://www.NevadaCountyDemocrats.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Partners in English Language Learning seeks volunteer tutors in Nevada County
- Grass Valley shelter overrun with cats, needs families, donations
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death
- Woman kidnapped from Alta Sierra home, Nevada County authorities say
- Top 10 ways you know you’re a Grass Valley/Nevada City local
- Nevada City police: Suspect found with suspected drugs, $17K in cash
- Nevada County authorities say bones found near Lake Spaulding belong to Ruendi Ibarra, 26, of Stockton