Cal Fire to staff Foresthill station at current levels
June 7, 2013
Placer County Supervisor Jennifer Montgomery announced Thursday that Cal Fire has worked with the county on efforts to allow the Carnelian Bay Station to be staffed without reducing the number of firefighters available in Foresthill this summer.
Cal Fire had announced earlier this year that it would move staff from Station 20 in Nevada City to Carnelian Bay, then announced it would move an engine from its station in Foresthill.
"We are confident Cal Fire Director Ken Pimlott has given Chief Brad Harris, of the Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit, the tools he needs in the short term to staff the second engine in Foresthill this fire season while we work cooperatively on a long-term funding solution," Montgomery said.
Placer County's efforts to find a solution acceptable to both the county and Cal Fire were headed by Montgomery, whose district includes Carnelian Bay and Foresthill. She made a strong case during meetings with Cal Fire leaders for the wisdom of staffing Foresthill at current levels.
Now, the supervisor is working with Cal Fire to find a permanent solution for staffing all of the Placer County stations. She said she is optimistic those efforts will also be successful.
"We particularly appreciate the willingness of Cal Fire's statewide, regional and local leaders to meet with Placer County, explain their decision-making process and consider options that do not reduce the number of firefighters available in Foresthill, particularly in a year when the number of fires is nearly double that of last year at this time." Montgomery said. "We understand that Cal Fire must balance its statewide mission and its commitment to the communities it serves."
Trending In: News Briefs
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- PFLAG to screen ‘Gender Revolution’ in Grass Valley
- Zepparella to perform at Grass Valley Elks Lodge
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball