Book giveaway and Christmas party this Saturday
December 26, 2012
The Story Club book giveaway and Christmas party will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Briar Patch Community Market across the street from Sierra College in Grass Valley.
Rose Gander, narrator for the North American Bunraku Puppet Theatre and founder of Story Club, says the club gives away good quality used children's books at events in Western Gateway Park and on the third Saturday of the month at the Briar Patch Market Community room.
"Presenting books and stories to children is one of the ways that we as a community can encourage children to love books and reading, two important skills necessary to become a lifelong learner," Gander said. "The events promote literacy and the love of reading."
All children attending a Story Club event are given one or more books to take home, usually several books are taken by each family. The goal is to provide a place where families can bring a stack of books and leave with a stack of books. Songs, stories, poetry and choosing books are some of the activities that occur at a Story Club event. For more information or to donate books, email email@example.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Nevada County Fairgrounds and community organizations team up for Community Involvement Day, offer discounts
- Give blood, get a free ticket to the Nevada County Fair
- The Nevada-Placer Chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County