Americans for Safe Access-Nevada County meeting today in Grass Valley
December 14, 2012
Americans for Safe Access-Nevada County will host a meeting 6-8 p.m. today at the Nevada County Contractors Association at 149 Crown Pointe Court (off Crown Pointe Circle), according to a news release.
ASA-NC is a supporter of the medical marijuana movement and is the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit that challenges the legality of the county's Marijuana Cultivation Ordinance.
Proposition 215, which allows patients with a valid doctor's recommendation marijuana access and the patient's doctors to possess and cultivate marijuana for personal medical use, was passed by the voters of California and, by law, cannot be changed or amended without another statewide vote, the release states.
Attorney Jeff Lake will be a guest speaker at the meeting, providing some news regarding the cultivation ordinance. According to the release, the meeting will decide the course of action that ASA-NC will pursue during the coming season. For that reason, this meeting is open to members only, although prospective members can join at the door, the release states.
One of the issues involves the regulation of cannabis cultivation, as state law limits the number of plants to six when they have a valid California doctor's recommendation.
"The county's ordinance oversteps their legal authority to regulate the size of a patient's cannabis garden," said ASA-NC Chair Patricia Smith.
Nevada County's ordinance has replaced plant counts with square footage restrictions that ASA-NC claims are inadequate.
The case is scheduled to be heard in late May by Superior Court Judge Sean Dowling.
For information, visit http://www.asa-nc.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: News Briefs
- Today an opportunity to take The Grandmother Pledge
- Nevada County building department discusses tiny house regulations
- Give blood, get a free ticket to the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County DMV reminds motorists of new 2017 laws
- Nevada County Fairgrounds and community organizations team up for Community Involvement Day, offer discounts
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County