The League of Women Voters of Western Nevada County is concerned that historic voting rights protections are at risk. On Feb. 27, the U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments in Shelby County, Alabama v. Holder, one of the nation’s most important voting rights cases to date. At issue is the constitutionality of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the landmark legislation that outlawed racial discrimination in state voting practices. The court is being asked to rule on VRA’s Section 5.
Historic voting rights protections are at risk
Trending in: Local News
- Electric cars need charging stations in Nevada County
- Law enforcement honored by Nevada City Elks
- Driver in solo crash suspected of DUI
- Consolidated swears in 2 new employees
- Mexican Fiesta fundraiser at North San Juan Center