Everett “Weary” Smith, a prominent elder in the local Nisenan tribe, died Tuesday at the age of 85. Smith was a veteran of World War II and the Korean War, along with being a very respected member of the local Native American community, said Shelly Covert, secretary to the Nevada City Rancheria Tribal Council.
Nisenan tribe loses respected elder
Trending in: Local News
- Woman injured in solo crash on McCourtney Road
- Penn Valley school board discusses distraught parents’ group
- Nevada County supervisor candidate Miller receives endorsements
- Subcommittee supports full funding to restore Bridgeport covered bridge
- Acupuncture may now be covered care