Everett “Weary” Smith, a prominent elder in the local Nisenan tribe, died Tuesday at the age of 85. Smith was a veteran of World War II and the Korean War, along with being a very respected member of the local Native American community, said Shelly Covert, secretary to the Nevada City Rancheria Tribal Council.
Nisenan tribe loses respected elder
Trending in: Local News
- Woman found dead in the street in Morgan Ranch
- Nevada City homicide victim identified
- Sierra Academy of Expeditionary Learning open for enrollment
- Grass Valley man arrested five times in two weeks
- Man life-flighted after rollover crash