Woman set on fire in LA as she sleeps on bench
December 27, 2012
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles police have identified a man arrested for allegedly setting a 67-year-old woman on fire as she was sleeping on a bus bench.
Dennis Petillo was arrested early Thursday and booked for investigation of attempted murder. The 24-year-old is being held on $500,000 bail.
Police say the attack occurred shortly after 1 a.m. outside a drug store. A witness told police he saw a man come out of the store and pour some type of flammable liquid on the woman before striking a match and setting her ablaze.
The woman was taken to a hospital and listed in critical condition.
Last week, a 55-year-old man was set on fire as he slept outside a doughnut shop in southern Los Angeles County. No one has been arrested.
Trending In: Local News
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death
- Could tiny houses fix a huge problem?: Homeless advocates respond to Nevada County’s plan
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball