Woman set on fire in LA as she sleeps on bench
December 27, 2012
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles police have identified a man arrested for allegedly setting a 67-year-old woman on fire as she was sleeping on a bus bench.
Dennis Petillo was arrested early Thursday and booked for investigation of attempted murder. The 24-year-old is being held on $500,000 bail.
Police say the attack occurred shortly after 1 a.m. outside a drug store. A witness told police he saw a man come out of the store and pour some type of flammable liquid on the woman before striking a match and setting her ablaze.
The woman was taken to a hospital and listed in critical condition.
Last week, a 55-year-old man was set on fire as he slept outside a doughnut shop in southern Los Angeles County. No one has been arrested.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home