Vegetation fire near Nevada County homeless camp
April 22, 2013
A half-acre vegetation fire broke out Sunday near a homeless encampment located behind Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital on Glasson Way, fire officials said.
The fire was contained at about 2:50 p.m., said Nevada County Consolidated Fire District Division Chief David Ray.
Four engine companies, one water tender and a battalion chief responded to the fire, Ray said.
The blaze represents the second major vegetation fire in the still nascent fire season.
"It's too early to say, but it is likely the fire started out of that homeless camp," Ray said. "There's no other reason for that fire to start."
To contact Staff Writer Matthew Renda, email email@example.com or 530-477-4239.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home