Vegetation fire near Nevada County homeless camp
April 22, 2013
A half-acre vegetation fire broke out Sunday near a homeless encampment located behind Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital on Glasson Way, fire officials said.
The fire was contained at about 2:50 p.m., said Nevada County Consolidated Fire District Division Chief David Ray.
Four engine companies, one water tender and a battalion chief responded to the fire, Ray said.
The blaze represents the second major vegetation fire in the still nascent fire season.
"It's too early to say, but it is likely the fire started out of that homeless camp," Ray said. "There's no other reason for that fire to start."
To contact Staff Writer Matthew Renda, email firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-477-4239.
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana