Vegetation fire near Nevada County homeless camp
April 22, 2013
A half-acre vegetation fire broke out Sunday near a homeless encampment located behind Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital on Glasson Way, fire officials said.
The fire was contained at about 2:50 p.m., said Nevada County Consolidated Fire District Division Chief David Ray.
Four engine companies, one water tender and a battalion chief responded to the fire, Ray said.
The blaze represents the second major vegetation fire in the still nascent fire season.
"It's too early to say, but it is likely the fire started out of that homeless camp," Ray said. "There's no other reason for that fire to start."
To contact Staff Writer Matthew Renda, email firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-477-4239.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws