Traffic stop leads to arrest on drug charges
December 10, 2013
Some suspicious behavior just after midnight Friday led to the arrest of a 19-year-old Rough and Ready man on drug sale charges.
A Nevada County Sheriff's deputy on patrol near Rough and Ready Highway and Bitney Springs Road at about 12:15 a.m. noticed a vehicle stop at the intersection and a passenger "hop out," said Lt. Steve Tripp.
When the passenger noticed the patrol vehicle, he jumped back in the vehicle and it took off, according to Tripp.
The deputy made a traffic stop and on approaching, noted a "strong odor" of marijuana, he said.
The deputy asked the occupants if there was any marijuana in the vehicle and Kyle Thibodeau reportedly said he had several joints and a baggie; he was subsequently detained.
A search reportedly uncovered 5 grams of cocaine, 3 grams of amphetamine, 18 grams of marijuana and a small amount of Valium.
Thibodeau's cell phone reportedly had text messages concerning drug sales.
He was arrested on suspicion of possessing a controlled substance, as well as possessing and transporting narcotics for sale. He was being held in county jail in lieu of $35,000 bail.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Heat wave comes to Nevada County with the first day of summer (Video)
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- 2 men accused of having exploding devices in western Nevada County
- Nevada, Placer county rivers claim 2 lives over the weekend
- Mindy Oberne: The real deal on SB 562, the single-payer legislation