Traffic stop leads to arrest on drug charges
December 10, 2013
Some suspicious behavior just after midnight Friday led to the arrest of a 19-year-old Rough and Ready man on drug sale charges.
A Nevada County Sheriff's deputy on patrol near Rough and Ready Highway and Bitney Springs Road at about 12:15 a.m. noticed a vehicle stop at the intersection and a passenger "hop out," said Lt. Steve Tripp.
When the passenger noticed the patrol vehicle, he jumped back in the vehicle and it took off, according to Tripp.
The deputy made a traffic stop and on approaching, noted a "strong odor" of marijuana, he said.
The deputy asked the occupants if there was any marijuana in the vehicle and Kyle Thibodeau reportedly said he had several joints and a baggie; he was subsequently detained.
A search reportedly uncovered 5 grams of cocaine, 3 grams of amphetamine, 18 grams of marijuana and a small amount of Valium.
Thibodeau's cell phone reportedly had text messages concerning drug sales.
He was arrested on suspicion of possessing a controlled substance, as well as possessing and transporting narcotics for sale. He was being held in county jail in lieu of $35,000 bail.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws