Teen couple arrested in alleged booze theft
May 18, 2013
A 19-year-old woman and a 17-year-old boy were arrested Wednesday afternoon by Grass Valley Police officers after the couple allegedly tried to shoplift booze, soda and condoms.
"They both had hatched a plan to steal alcohol," said Sgt. Steve Johnson. "They went in with large black bags, took several bottles of hard liquor and tried to flee. But two minors running out with large black bags that were clinking caught the attention of the loss prevention officer."
The two were detained just before 5 p.m. and turned over to police officers, who allegedly found two bottles of vodka (Skyy and Smirnoff), a bottle of Jack Daniels whiskey, Orange Crush soda and condoms in the bags. The boy was cited and released to a parent.
Sarah May Mooney, of Grass Valley, was arrested on suspicion of second-degree burglary, criminal conspiracy, being a minor in possession of alcohol and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. She was being held in county jail in lieu of $11,500 bail.
To contact Staff Writer Liz Kellar, e-mail email@example.com or call 530-477-4229.
Trending In: Local News
- Humpty Dumpty’s Shirley Tellam to retire after six decades of service
- Strawberry Music Festival celebrates its fourth year in Nevada County
- Honoring Memorial Day in Nevada County
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Hilary Hodge: My coming out story
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Woman tries to euthanize dog that isn’t hers