Sierra Native Alliance awarded grant
June 17, 2010
The Pacific Forest and Watershed Lands Stewardship Council recently awarded $297,000 in grants to 15 organizations dedicated to getting youth outdoors.
One of the organizations that received a grant was Sierra Native Alliance. The group received $12,000 for its Youth Conservation Internship program hiring low-income youth in Placer and Nevada counties to restore an abandoned environmental education center on a historic Nisenan Maidu site in Auburn.
Youth will learn environmental preservation skills from an indigenous perspective and take the lead in developing a peer environmental education curriculum for ongoing use at the Sierra Native Alliance Cultural Education Center.
For more information, visit http://www.SierraNativeAlliance.org
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Robbery suspect wanted in May incident found in Grass Valley
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Nevada County Sheriff deputies respond to shooting victims near North San Juan
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County