Siegfried trial enters its second week
June 30, 2013
The domestic violence trial of a Nevada City man that involves two separate incidents in 2011 entered its second week Tuesday morning.
Jacob Siegfried faces 11 counts of stalking, criminal threats, depriving a custodial parent of a child, making annoying telephone calls, spousal abuse, disobeying court orders and resisting arrest.
He was initially arrested in early September 2011 after he allegedly refused to return his child to the custodial mother after taking him to Burning Man, and then threatening to take the 3-year-old boy to San Diego or Arizona.
After the mother told him she would call law enforcement, he allegedly threatened to slit their son’s throat and also allegedly made threats to beat her and stab her. In November of that same year, Siegfried allegedly grabbed his ex-girlfriend by the hair and tried to pull her into his vehicle during a child custody exchange.
In opening statements last week, Deputy District Attorney Jennifer Ow said Siegfried conducted a “cat-and-mouse game” with his ex-girlfriend, using their son as his pawn.
Siegfried’s attorney, Stephen Munkelt, said that while his client was not blameless, his actions occurred in the context of back-and-forth arguments in a dysfunctional relationship.
Siegfried’s ex-girlfriend was on the stand for several days and was grilled by Munkelt Tuesday morning.
She testified that during the incident in November 2011, he told her he had a hole ready for her on the Ridge. She said that he chased her around his truck several times, grabbing her and dragging her by the hair. The woman said that she pulled a can of Mace out of her pocket and tested it, at which point Siegfried grabbed her as she held her son and dragged them through the cloud of spray.
She adamantly denied spraying herself by accident, saying, “I’m not that blonde — I didn’t Mace myself and my son.”
She continued to repeatedly refute Munkelt’s suggestions that her testimony regarding that incident was inaccurate.
The prosecution rested after the morning’s testimony, and the defense witnesses were expected to begin testifying in the afternoon.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4229.
Trending In: Local News
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada City Planning Commission OK’s outdoor pot grows
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- Nevada County homeless man given second chance with previous job
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping