Senior returns to Grass Valley home after helicopter search
August 23, 2013
A helicopter circling the Brunswick Basin in Grass Valley’s northeastern corner Tuesday night was assisting Grass Valley police search for an elderly woman who had walked away from her home, officials said.
The 82-year-old woman returned home at 7 a.m. Wednesday, after walking away from her Olympia Glade home 12 hours earlier, said Grass Valley Police Sgt. Steve Johnson.
“At the time, we thought she might be in distress because of her age,” Johnson said.
A California Highway Patrol helicopter was dispatched to help in the search Tuesday, along with ground crews with the Nevada County Sheriff’s Search and Rescue team.
This was not the first time the temporarily missing woman had wandered from home, Johnson said.
Grass Valley police are conducting an investigation into the circumstances that led to her departure, including inquiries into any mental health issues and future measures that could prevent further walk-away incidents, Johnson said.
To contact Staff Writer Christopher Rosacker, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4236.
Trending In: Local News
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- Nevada City Planning Commission OK’s outdoor pot grows
- Nevada County homeless man given second chance with previous job
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping