Search on for missing miner
October 30, 2013
Multiple search and rescue teams are looking for a man who has been reported missing since Oct. 23.
Walter Steever, 65, of San Jose, frequently mines along the river and was supposed to return during the weekend and did not, said Nevada County Sheriff Keith Royal.
Steever is described as a white male with a white beard and weighing 185 pounds.
He appeared to have parked his vehicle in the fire lane, which he normally does, Royal said, at the end of Owl Creek Road near the South Yuba River.
About 40 individuals are participating in the search, including Nevada County Search and Rescue, California Highway Patrol, California State Parks, Nevada County Probation and volunteer teams from Placer, Sacramento and El Dorado counties.
The teams are utilizing ground searchers, helicopters, horses and canines, Royal said, adding, "We are continuing in our efforts."
For information, contact Nevada County Sheriff's Office at 530-265-7880.
To contact Staff Writer Jennifer Terman, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4230.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws