Sacramento man injured in Grass Valley car crash
May 16, 2014
A Sacramento man suffered back and neck injuries Wednesday in a car crash at the intersection of Highway 49 and Quail Creek Road in Grass Valley.
Israel Avila, 40, was transported by ambulance to Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital after the 8:40 a.m. accident, California Highway Patrol Officer Justin Barnthouse said.
According to Barnthouse, Dana Goyen, a Grass Valley woman, was stopped in her dark 1999 Chrysler sedan on Quail Creek Road at a stop sign located where the road intersects with Highway 49. As Goyen began to make a right turn onto the highway, Avila, who drove a white 1999 International box truck, was headed northbound on the highway and crashed into the front left side of Goyen's car.
"She was making the turn and Avila didn't stop," Barnthouse said. "He was probably going around 45 miles per hour."
Goyen, 43, was not injured in the accident.
CHP responded to the crash five minutes later and sectioned off the area of the accident, causing more than an hour of traffic delays for oncoming vehicles.
The Grass Valley Fire Department also responded and assisted at the scene.
To contact Staff Writer Ivan Natividad, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4236.
Trending In: Local News
- Humpty Dumpty’s Shirley Tellam to retire after six decades of service
- Strawberry Music Festival celebrates its fourth year in Nevada County
- Honoring Memorial Day in Nevada County
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Hilary Hodge: My coming out story
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Woman tries to euthanize dog that isn’t hers