Sacramento man injured in Grass Valley car crash
May 16, 2014
A Sacramento man suffered back and neck injuries Wednesday in a car crash at the intersection of Highway 49 and Quail Creek Road in Grass Valley.
Israel Avila, 40, was transported by ambulance to Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital after the 8:40 a.m. accident, California Highway Patrol Officer Justin Barnthouse said.
According to Barnthouse, Dana Goyen, a Grass Valley woman, was stopped in her dark 1999 Chrysler sedan on Quail Creek Road at a stop sign located where the road intersects with Highway 49. As Goyen began to make a right turn onto the highway, Avila, who drove a white 1999 International box truck, was headed northbound on the highway and crashed into the front left side of Goyen’s car.
“She was making the turn and Avila didn’t stop,” Barnthouse said. “He was probably going around 45 miles per hour.”
Goyen, 43, was not injured in the accident.
CHP responded to the crash five minutes later and sectioned off the area of the accident, causing more than an hour of traffic delays for oncoming vehicles.
The Grass Valley Fire Department also responded and assisted at the scene.
To contact Staff Writer Ivan Natividad, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4236.
Trending In: Local News
- Grass Valley standoff ends in arrest
- Nevada City’s Stone House reopening pushed back
- Police blotter: Caller reports out-of-tune musicians
- Police blotter: Unlicensed 15-year-old reportedly driving drunk mom home
- Connecting with inner freedom: Camptonville woman brings hope to ‘lifers’ behind bars with Lioness Tale Prison Project