RV burns in Nevada City
October 15, 2013
A fire in an RV broke out around 12:30 p.m. Saturday near Highway 20 and Broad Street in Nevada City.
The trailer had been towed after it had been sitting in the owner's residence near the White Cloud Campground area, said Nevada County Consolidated Fire Battalion Chief Jim Turner.
The owner was traveling with a man in a separate truck that was pulling the trailer. Suddenly the duo noticed smoke coming from the front section of the 30-foot travel trailer, Turner said, and they disconnected the truck from the burning vehicle.
Nevada City residents Larry Stites and Jayne Crandall recalled what they saw at the scene, which started as smoke that became thick and black, and then something exploded that seemed like it was a propane or gas tank.
"We came on the scene from the National Hotel parking lot and saw the trailer on fire on Highway 20," Stites said.
"Of course the overpass was blocked off for a while, which created a traffic jam all through Nevada City."
The fire was extinguished by emergency personnel about 15 minutes after arrival, Turner said, adding the crew was on site until about 2 p.m.
The trailer was destroyed and the cause is under investigation.
To contact Staff Writer Jennifer Terman, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4230.
Trending In: Local News
- Lake Tahoe within 3 feet of legal limit
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- ‘Spread the love’ event in downtown Grass Valley hits unsuspecting passersby with flowers
- Nevada City’s Streicher House on the lookout for new location
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection