Rough and Ready man sentenced in pot sale case
December 5, 2012
A Rough and Ready man was sentenced to nine months in county jail and five years probation after pleading no contest to possession of marijuana for sale.
Leslie Edward Schofield and co-defendant Cristian Navarro Mendoza had been arrested Oct. 14, 2011, after members of the Nevada County Narcotics Task Force went to Schofield's residence in the 10000 block of Rough and Ready Road.
Task force members said they were doing a compliance check after spotting a marijuana grow during a helicopter fly-over several months prior and found $2,000 in cash on Schofield, two pounds of marijuana cola and about 19 pounds of marijuana cola on the stem inside the residence, as well as a pay-owe sheet, scales and zip-lock bags for processing. They also said they found evidence of an outdoor grow and an indoor grow room with 55 plants.
Nevada County Superior Court Judge Tom Anderson agreed to abide by the plea agreement, despite a probation department recommendation of a prison sentence. Anderson noted in court Monday that if he sentenced Schofield to prison, he would serve only three years and would be released without supervision.
"It is in the community's interest to have you on probation (and intensive supervision)," Anderson said before sentencing Schofield to 270 days in county jail.
Anderson added that Schofield must serve 90 days of his sentence in jail before applying for alternative sentencing; he also imposed drug testing and search-and-seizure conditions.
Schofield must undergo counseling as directed and must show any medical marijuana recommendation to his probation officer, Anderson ruled. He must also forfeit half of the seized cash.
To contact Staff Writer Liz Kellar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (530) 477-4229.
Trending In: Local News
- Humpty Dumpty’s Shirley Tellam to retire after six decades of service
- Strawberry Music Festival celebrates its fourth year in Nevada County
- Honoring Memorial Day in Nevada County
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Woman tries to euthanize dog that isn’t hers
- Hilary Hodge: My coming out story