Propane leak sparks evacuations, no fires
December 8, 2012
A propane leak at a Grass Valley supplier's station prompted evacuations amid concerns
of combustion Thursday morning.
Shortly before 8 a.m., a caller on scene reported an explosion, according to dispatch logs provided by the Grass Valley Police Department.
That report proved to be inaccurate, said Mark Buttron, a battalion chief with Grass Valley Fire Department.
Units arrived to find
no fire or explosion on the 13000 block of Grass Valley Avenue. Responders included four engines and two battalion chiefs.
Approximately 25 gallons of liquid LPG turned to vapor following a transfer failure from supply truck to storage tanks. Internal safety systems operated as designed and stopped the flow of LPG.
Approximately 20 individuals in surrounding businesses were evacuated for a short time while firefighters monitored the atmosphere, ventilated structures and confirmed a safe environment, Buttron said.
No injuries were reported.
To contact Staff Writer Christopher Rosacker, email email@example.com or call (530) 477-4236.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County