Prop. 215 author to appear on Cannabis Crusades
October 31, 2013
Dennis Peron, co-author of Prop 215, will be the guest for the first hour of the Cannabis Crusades on KVMR, 89.5 FM Friday.
The show will air from noon to 2 p.m., when Peron will be promoting his new book, “How a Gay Hippie Outlaw Legalized Marijuana in Response to the AIDS Crises,”
Prop. 215 passed with 55.6 percent of the vote making California the first state to legalize marijuana for medical purposes. Since 1996, voters in 19 states and the District of Columbia have made similar moves and Colorado and Washington voted to legalize marijuana for recreational purposes in 2012.
Recent court rulings (City of Riverside v. Inland Empire Patients Health & Wellbeing Collective) have reduced the protections intended by Prop 215 to a medical necessity argument. There are two petitions circulating to put an initiative on the ballot that would legalize marijuana for adults over 21 in California for the 2014 election and another coalition of activists are drafting an initiative for the 2016 election as a safety precaution.
Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom and the ACLU have also assembled a “blue ribbon” panel to draft legislation to implement legalization.
Trending In: Local News
- Grass Valley standoff ends in arrest
- Police blotter: Unlicensed 15-year-old reportedly driving drunk mom home
- Verizon tower construcion progresses in Grass Valley
- Nevada County reaches settlement in harassment case with former sheriff’s employee
- Connecting with inner freedom: Camptonville woman brings hope to ‘lifers’ behind bars with Lioness Tale Prison Project