Prop. 215 author to appear on Cannabis Crusades
October 31, 2013
Dennis Peron, co-author of Prop 215, will be the guest for the first hour of the Cannabis Crusades on KVMR, 89.5 FM Friday.
The show will air from noon to 2 p.m., when Peron will be promoting his new book, "How a Gay Hippie Outlaw Legalized Marijuana in Response to the AIDS Crises,"
Prop. 215 passed with 55.6 percent of the vote making California the first state to legalize marijuana for medical purposes. Since 1996, voters in 19 states and the District of Columbia have made similar moves and Colorado and Washington voted to legalize marijuana for recreational purposes in 2012.
Recent court rulings (City of Riverside v. Inland Empire Patients Health & Wellbeing Collective) have reduced the protections intended by Prop 215 to a medical necessity argument. There are two petitions circulating to put an initiative on the ballot that would legalize marijuana for adults over 21 in California for the 2014 election and another coalition of activists are drafting an initiative for the 2016 election as a safety precaution.
Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom and the ACLU have also assembled a "blue ribbon" panel to draft legislation to implement legalization.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial