President of Pleasant Valley Elementary School Parent Club accused of embezzlement
March 14, 2014
A Penn Valley woman serving as president of the Pleasant Valley Elementary School District Parent Club was arrested Wednesday after she reportedly embezzled $11,000 from the organization.
Members of the parent club realized the theft after checking the group's account, said Nevada County Sheriff Keith Royal.
There should have been about $8,500 in the account and there was only $500, Royal said.
It eventually was determined during the investigation that the group's president, Michelle Renee Huni, had taken about $11,000 from the account since October, Royal said.
Huni, 35, reportedly spent the money on a cell phone, groceries, for cash and other purchases.
She was taken into custody on suspicion of embezzlement, booked and released on $10,000 bail.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4229.
Trending In: Local News
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Gold panning at Bridgeport begins today
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- Repairs to PG&E canal expected next week; NID says fix comes just in time
- California neighborhood flooded: Residents floated through the streets on rafts and paddleboards laughing
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public