Passenger killed in single-vehicle crash near Gold Run
March 16, 2013
A Sacramento man allegedly fell asleep at the wheel and crashed his SUV on Interstate 80 near Gold Run Sunday afternoon, killing his passenger.
Bernard Evangelista, 25, was driving a 2013 Ford westbound on I-80 at about 70-80 mph and was entering a gradual left curve in the road east of Sawmill Road when the accident happened, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Evangelista might have fallen asleep at the wheel and allowed the SUV to drift off the roadway at about 3 p.m., colliding with a tree, the CHP said.
The vehicle damage was severe, the report said, and required a substantial extrication effort.
Evangelista's passenger, Soledad Ross, 35, of Camichael, died of major blunt force trauma, according to the report.
Evangelista sustained a broken arm and lacerations and was transported to Sutter Roseville Medical Center. He was listed in fair condition at the hospital Monday afternoon, according to a spokeswoman.
To contact Staff Writer Liz Kellar, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4229.
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed