Nielsen issues statement on accounting practices at state parks
February 20, 2013
Following today's Joint Legislative Audit Committee hearing on the inconsistent budgeting practices at the Department of Parks and Recreation, State Sen. Jim Nielsen (R-Gerber), who co-authored the letter to require the audit of the department's budgeting practices along with Assemblywoman Beth Gaines (R-Granite Bay), issued the following statement:
"This deliberate budget shell game has been going on for years in many agencies. It cannot be tolerated anymore.
"Public officials, whether they are state employees or elected officials, are trusted stewards of taxpayers' dollars.
"That's why I continue to call for more oversight of state agencies and departments by the Legislature. I ask for zero based budgeting and for more legislative time to be devoted to formal agency oversight."
Nielsen represents the Fourth Senate District, which includes the counties of Butte, Colusa, Del Norte, Glenn, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, Shasta, Siskiyou, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity and Yuba. To contact Senator Nielsen, please call him at 916-651-4004, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws