Nevada County prosecutor dismisses Truckee rape case
May 18, 2017
Prosecutors have dismissed charges against a San Diego man accused of rape of an unconscious person in Truckee, reports state.
The move by Nevada County prosecutors to dismiss the accusation against Douglas Scott Thomas, 26, came after the District Attorney's Office determined the case couldn't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, Deputy District Attorney Anna Tyner said.
"This was not a light decision," Tyner said, saying she opted to dismiss after speaking with experts, the victim and others.
Initially contacted by email, Thomas couldn't be reached for comment.
Authorities had accused Thomas of sexually assaulting a woman in November while she was unconscious. Police issued a warrant and arrested Thomas days later in Boise, Idaho.
According to court records, a Nevada County judge found enough probable cause in February to advance Thomas' case toward trial. Prosecutors dismissed the case last month.
To contact Staff Writer Alan Riquelmy, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4239.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Local News
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance