Nevada City’s Newsom engaged to SNL star
March 9, 2013
Nevada City native and singer-songwriter and harpist Joanna Newsom is engaged to former Saturday Night Live star Andy Samberg after dating five years, according to multiple reports.
Newsom, 31, released three indie-folk studio albums, "Milk-Eyed Mender" in 2004, "Ys" in 2006 and "Have One on Me" in 2010.
Samberg, 34, is known for his SNL digital shorts and starred in the BBC Three sitcom "Cuckoo" and "Celeste and Jesse Forever" alongside Rashida Jones last year, according to Rolling Stone Magazine.
Pitchfork magazine reported that the couple publicly divulged their engagement at the Film Independent Spirit Awards Saturday, where Newsom wore an engagement ring.
Newsom grew up around Nevada City and worked in downtown Nevada City's Cafe Mecca, said Arthur magazine.
She lived in the Bay Area for many years and studied composition and creative writing at Mills College in Oakland before she dropped out and continued to write and record songs, according to Arthur magazine.
Trending In: Local News
- Humpty Dumpty’s Shirley Tellam to retire after six decades of service
- Strawberry Music Festival celebrates its fourth year in Nevada County
- Honoring Memorial Day in Nevada County
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Woman tries to euthanize dog that isn’t hers
- Hilary Hodge: My coming out story