Nevada City’s Newsom engaged to SNL star
March 9, 2013
Nevada City native and singer-songwriter and harpist Joanna Newsom is engaged to former Saturday Night Live star Andy Samberg after dating five years, according to multiple reports.
Newsom, 31, released three indie-folk studio albums, "Milk-Eyed Mender" in 2004, "Ys" in 2006 and "Have One on Me" in 2010.
Samberg, 34, is known for his SNL digital shorts and starred in the BBC Three sitcom "Cuckoo" and "Celeste and Jesse Forever" alongside Rashida Jones last year, according to Rolling Stone Magazine.
Pitchfork magazine reported that the couple publicly divulged their engagement at the Film Independent Spirit Awards Saturday, where Newsom wore an engagement ring.
Newsom grew up around Nevada City and worked in downtown Nevada City's Cafe Mecca, said Arthur magazine.
She lived in the Bay Area for many years and studied composition and creative writing at Mills College in Oakland before she dropped out and continued to write and record songs, according to Arthur magazine.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County fire: The aftermath (VIDEO)
- Carlee D’Arata sentenced to 10 years in prison in Nevada County death of Antonette Thevenin
- For Grass Valley “super senior,” helping children is a way of life
- Overnight closure planned over weekend for busy intersection in Roseville
- Internet for All bill, funding broadband projects like Spiral, signed into law