Nevada City woman injured in Sacramento crash
October 20, 2013
Longtime Nevada County resident Joan Beard was seriously injured in a vehicle accident in Sacramento on Oct. 8 and currently is recovering in a Grass Valley convalescent hospital.
Beard was a business manager at the Nevada City Elementary School District for 27 years and served as governor of the Soroptimist International of the Sierra Nevada region; she is married to former Nevada City Police Chief Bill Beard.
While en route to pick up her son, Beard was driving on Interstate 80 near Madison Avenue when she was struck by a vehicle driving in the same direction.
"The vehicle sideswiped me on the passenger side, then fishtailed and hit the front end again," she said. "It spun me and flipped me — I rolled."
Beard underwent surgery the next day to fuse her cervical vertebra.
She spent eight days at UC Davis Medical Center before being transferred to Spring Hill Manor.
"She is probably the luckiest person in Nevada County," Bill Beard. "I can't believe anybody could survive that."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial
- Nevada County marijuana community advisory group learns about state pot laws