Nevada City man found dead in American River canyon
August 29, 2014
A 23-year-old Nevada City man's body was discovered Tuesday afternoon in the American River canyon, but his death is not considered suspicious, authorities said.
At around 4 p.m. Tuesday, the Placer County Sheriff's Office was notified by a hiker that he had seen a man's body near the Riverview Trail in the canyon near Auburn, said Placer County Sheriff's spokeswoman Dena Erwin. The man led authorities to the body, where coroner's investigators and homicide detectives found nothing suspicious.
The man, Stuart A. Martin, was removed from the canyon and taken to the Placer County morgue, Erwin said. There was no trauma found during the autopsy, so cause of death is pending forensic toxicology.
Trending In: Local News
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Gold panning at Bridgeport begins today
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- Repairs to PG&E canal expected next week; NID says fix comes just in time
- California neighborhood flooded: Residents floated through the streets on rafts and paddleboards laughing
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public