Nevada City man found dead in American River canyon
August 29, 2014
A 23-year-old Nevada City man’s body was discovered Tuesday afternoon in the American River canyon, but his death is not considered suspicious, authorities said.
At around 4 p.m. Tuesday, the Placer County Sheriff’s Office was notified by a hiker that he had seen a man’s body near the Riverview Trail in the canyon near Auburn, said Placer County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Dena Erwin. The man led authorities to the body, where coroner’s investigators and homicide detectives found nothing suspicious.
The man, Stuart A. Martin, was removed from the canyon and taken to the Placer County morgue, Erwin said. There was no trauma found during the autopsy, so cause of death is pending forensic toxicology.
Trending In: Local News
- Grass Valley standoff ends in arrest
- Nevada City’s Stone House reopening pushed back
- Police blotter: Caller reports out-of-tune musicians
- Connecting with inner freedom: Camptonville woman brings hope to ‘lifers’ behind bars with Lioness Tale Prison Project
- Police blotter: Koran-quoting caller spawns terrorist concerns