Native Daughters rededicate plaque with monument
March 24, 2014
On Sunday afternoon, the Manzanita Parlor No. 29 Native Daughters of the Golden West in Grass Valley re-dedicated the 1926 Women’s Christian Temperance Union Plaque, which was originally placed on the Congregational Church.
The Native Daughters rededicated the plaque Sunday across the street at the Church Street parking lot at Neal Street. The plaque has been stored at the United Methodist Church down the street from the Congregational Church after the church was torn down to make room for a bank.
Mason Rick Trathen constructed the historical monument, located on Neal Street, between Mill and South Church streets. The plaque was first dedicated in 1926 to recognize the first Women’s Christian Temperance Union, Episcopal and Methodist ladies union in the state of California established March 25, 1874.