Motorcycle wreck clogs highway in Grass Valley
August 28, 2014
A motorcyclist sustained head injuries after an accident on Highway 20 near Bennett Street that happened just before 4 p.m.
California Highway Patrol spokesman Greg Tassone said initial reports were of a vehicle striking a pedestrian, then changed to a big rig hitting a motorcyclist.
The motorcyclist was identified as Joshua Ayres, 22. Ayres reportedly was driving a 2014 Harley Davidson at high speed and was trying to split the lanes when he miscalculated and struck the rear of a VW sedan, Tassone said.
He was taken to Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital with minor to moderate injuries.
Both lanes of the westbound highway were closed for about an hour, with the accident causing a major traffic issue. Emergency equipment had to be brought in the wrong way on the highway and CHP officers conducted rolling breaks to try to slow down traffic, Tassone said. He added there were several rear-end collisions despite officers' best efforts.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County fire: The aftermath (VIDEO)
- Carlee D’Arata sentenced to 10 years in prison in Nevada County death of Antonette Thevenin
- For Grass Valley “super senior,” helping children is a way of life
- Overnight closure planned over weekend for busy intersection in Roseville
- Internet for All bill, funding broadband projects like Spiral, signed into law