Marysville man kills self on side of highway
October 3, 2013
A Marysville man reportedly killed himself with a shotgun while parked on the side of Highway 20 Sunday night, in full view of vehicles passing by.
A witness told Nevada County Sheriff's deputies he was driving eastbound on the highway near Cattle Drive and saw a blue Toyota four-door car parked on the side of the road just before 6 p.m., said Sheriff Keith Royal.
As the man was passing the parked vehicle, he saw a "plume of smoke" and "blood spray" from the car.
"He thought it was a Halloween joke," Royal said, adding that the man turned around and returned to park behind the vehicle to investigate further.
The man reportedly found the man, identified as Dale Johnson, 55, dead from a shotgun wound to the head. Johnson shot himself with a .30-06 rifle, Royal said.
About a half-hour earlier, a CHP officer had pulled over to check on Johnson, and asked him over his loudspeaker if he needed assistance, Royal said. The man reportedly gave the officer a thumbs-up at that time.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4229.
Trending In: Local News
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Five Yuba River swimming holes to beat the summer heat in western Nevada County
- Gold panning at Bridgeport begins today
- Repairs to PG&E canal expected next week; NID says fix comes just in time
- Honoring Memorial Day in Nevada County
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum