Manslaughter case goes to trial
September 23, 2013
A Nov. 19 Yuba County jury trial is scheduled for a Penn Valley driver whose passenger died in a May 2012 rollover accident.
Tye Randall Casto, 20, faces a misdemeanor charge of vehicular manslaughter.
His case was on the calendar Friday in Yuba County Superior Court and was continued to next month, according to the District Attorney's Office.
Tyler Balke, 18, of Grass Valley, was with four friends in a 2001 Jeep in a gravel area under the Parks Bar Bridge on Timbuctoo Road when Casto made a hard left turn around a concrete support pillar for the bridge, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Balke was sitting on the right rear passenger window ledge and was halfway out of the vehicle when the turn caused it to roll to the right, on top of him.
Balke died of internal injuries at the scene, according to the CHP, while the three other passengers and Casto were uninjured.
Casto was the only person in the vehicle who was wearing a seat belt when the accident happened, the CHP said.
Harold Kruger is a copy editor with the Marysville Appeal-Democrat.
Trending In: Local News
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier