Man struck by car on Nevada City Hwy.
January 28, 2013
Grass Valley Police officers responded to a car versus pedestrian accident in the 1900 block of Nevada City Highway Thursday evening that left one man hospitalized.
Grass Valley resident Michael Damon Race Romero, 23, was reportedly crossing Nevada City Highway from the east to the west when he was struck by a 1994 Mazda pickup driven by William Fike, 20, of Nevada County, who was traveling southbound.
Officers were called to the scene of the traffic accident shortly after 7:30 p.m., according to a news release issued by GVPD.
Romero was transported from the scene by ambulance to Sutter Roseville Hospital for treatment of injuries sustained in the crash.
His injuries were not believed to be life threatening, the release states.
Fike was uninjured and released at the scene after speaking with police.
The cause of the accident remains under investigation; however, Fike was not found to be under the influence or speeding.
Police said that Romero’s dark clothing and decision to cross in an unsafe section of Nevada City Highway and poor weather conditions were all contributing factors, the release states.
Trending In: Local News
- Grass Valley standoff ends in arrest
- Police blotter: Unlicensed 15-year-old reportedly driving drunk mom home
- Police blotter: Caller reports out-of-tune musicians
- Connecting with inner freedom: Camptonville woman brings hope to ‘lifers’ behind bars with Lioness Tale Prison Project
- Verizon tower construcion progresses in Grass Valley