Man struck by car on Nevada City Hwy.
January 28, 2013
Grass Valley Police officers responded to a car versus pedestrian accident in the 1900 block of Nevada City Highway Thursday evening that left one man hospitalized.
Grass Valley resident Michael Damon Race Romero, 23, was reportedly crossing Nevada City Highway from the east to the west when he was struck by a 1994 Mazda pickup driven by William Fike, 20, of Nevada County, who was traveling southbound.
Officers were called to the scene of the traffic accident shortly after 7:30 p.m., according to a news release issued by GVPD.
Romero was transported from the scene by ambulance to Sutter Roseville Hospital for treatment of injuries sustained in the crash.
His injuries were not believed to be life threatening, the release states.
Fike was uninjured and released at the scene after speaking with police.
The cause of the accident remains under investigation; however, Fike was not found to be under the influence or speeding.
Police said that Romero's dark clothing and decision to cross in an unsafe section of Nevada City Highway and poor weather conditions were all contributing factors, the release states.
Trending In: Local News
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana