Man sought in connection with attempted robbery with knife
October 2, 2013
Grass Valley Police officers are seeking a local man in connection with an attempted robbery in which he reportedly pulled a knife.
The male victim, who was not identified, reported that two men tried to rob him at the Safeway in the 100 block of Neal Street at about 9:45 p.m. Sunday.
“The victim said the suspects were acquaintances and they had been having a verbal argument over money that was owed,” said Sgt. Joe Matteoni.
The victim said he had no money on him, but did have groceries,and that one of the men — identified as Matthew Madsen — tried to grab the groceries from him, Matteoni said.
During the struggle, Madsen reportedly pulled a knife and pointed it at the victim in a threatening manner, then lunged at him.
The victim wasn’t injured and ran back into the store, Matteoni said.
Both suspects were gone when officers arrived; a be-on-the-lookout advisory was issued for Madsen early Tuesday morning.
Madsen has a number of criminal cases on his record, mostly misdemeanors involving theft.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email email@example.com or call 530-477-4229.
Trending In: Local News
- UPDATE: Both lanes re-opened on Highway 49 in Grass Valley after sinkhole inspection
- Nevada City Planning Commission OK’s outdoor pot grows
- North San Juan family loses virtually everything in house fire
- Nevada County homeless man given second chance with previous job
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Person refuses to leave until he’s done sleeping