Man sought in connection with attempted robbery with knife
October 2, 2013
Grass Valley Police officers are seeking a local man in connection with an attempted robbery in which he reportedly pulled a knife.
The male victim, who was not identified, reported that two men tried to rob him at the Safeway in the 100 block of Neal Street at about 9:45 p.m. Sunday.
"The victim said the suspects were acquaintances and they had been having a verbal argument over money that was owed," said Sgt. Joe Matteoni.
The victim said he had no money on him, but did have groceries,and that one of the men — identified as Matthew Madsen — tried to grab the groceries from him, Matteoni said.
During the struggle, Madsen reportedly pulled a knife and pointed it at the victim in a threatening manner, then lunged at him.
The victim wasn't injured and ran back into the store, Matteoni said.
Both suspects were gone when officers arrived; a be-on-the-lookout advisory was issued for Madsen early Tuesday morning.
Madsen has a number of criminal cases on his record, mostly misdemeanors involving theft.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4229.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Local News
- CHP: Rough and Ready woman dies in ATV wreck
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Bear drops by home near Cascade Shores (video)
- CHP: Fire near Greenhorn Campground leads to evacuations (VIDEO)